Spring break is upon us! We have a week to spend with our little one. So what to do when you aren’t planning a vacation away? Fun at home! Here are some of the things we plan on doing this spring break, and that you might find fun as well:
- Visit some local trails and parks. Grab a bucket, and be on your way. Look for all the different signs that spring is here. Bring them back home and talk about them.
- We love our local aquarium. My son loves the touch tank, and even though we’ve been a few hundred times, he always looks forward to going back!
- Visit your local library – your local library is a great resource not only for the different programs they offer, but to discover new books, and play with other children. Additionally, they usually have discount passes to local museums.
- Grab those discount tickets from the library and head to your local children’s museum. Let them explore every part of it. Hands on learning, by far, is the most effective, and when they are having fun – they don’t even realize they are learning.
- Get your garden started! If you haven’t started seedings, which this year, we did not, go and buy your plants and get them in the ground. Start to teach your little one about what it means to grow your own food. A good resource to start this activity is the book Pumpkin Jack by Will Hubbell. A fantastic story about plant cycles.
- Visit the ocean if you can. Visit another natural resource if you aren’t close to the ocean (such as a waterfall, etc). If you’re in New England, like us, it is certainly too cold to swim, but bundled up you can still search for shells together, climb on the rocks, and take a long walk.
- Do you have a family gym membership? We do, and our gym has a beautiful pool with a splash pad. No matter the weather outside, we plan to enjoy a day of splashing around together. If your gym doesn’t have a pool, check into local hotels or community centers. Often, for a small fee, you can use their pool! When you come home, crack open the grill! Make some BBQ party favorites and spread out a blanket to enjoy.
- We have a wonderful animal farm not too far from us, and we love it there. If you have one near you, chances are they are open again for spring. Let the little ones go feed the animals, run around, and maybe have a picnic. There isn’t a time he doesn’t love a visit to the farm.
- Your backyard! Go out and play!
The point is, do something fun every day. You don’t need to go away from home to make it special, just play tourist and rediscover your town and the towns around you. There are 1000’s of ideas for having fun right at home, you just have to choose what makes your kiddo smile. Whatever it is, give them your full attention. They don’t want to share you with your phone. Making special memories is the only important thing that you need to check off of your “to-do” list this week.
– xoxo Joyfully Mom